- 3 slices organic nitrate-free bacon
- 3-4 cups Brussel sprouts, cut into 4
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced and skin left on
- 1 apple, diced (I used a fuji apple)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large cast iron pan, cook bacon slices over medium-high heat. Once bacon is cooked, set aside. Reserve grease.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, sauté sweet potato for 5 minutes in bacon grease. Transfer sweet potato to a large baking dish, add in chopped brussel sprouts, sprinkle with dried herbs, chili flakes, sea salt and pepper and roast for 25-35 minutes, until sprouts are slightly golden.
- About 10-15 minutes into roasting, add in chopped apple. Make sure not to overcook. In the last minute, dice bacon and stir into pan. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- *Alternatively, if your cast iron pan is large enough, you can add your brussel sprouts to the pan and roasted them with the sweet potato in the oven.
- Serve immediately on it’s own or along the side of a main dish.