Every once in a while I get off track. It usually happens to me without realizing it's happening to me-that is until my body tells me. My body told me Sunday night-and it took my husband pointing it out before I actually got it! See-even those of us in the industry can ignore what's right in front of us!
Let me backtrack-last week was my son's sixth birthday! Super fun family dinners and a rather insane birthday party meant he dictated our meals for about 3 days......and no matter how healthy my kids eat every day, when it's their choice all of a sudden take out pizza, Chinese Food and of course chocolate cake reign supreme. Mix that in with a few casual beers and caesars and (for me anyway) it's a recipe for a gut disaster. See-now that I feel fabulous (almost) all of the time, I forget what drew me into the rabbit hole of nutrition. I was sick! I was in pain ALL the time, I had no energy, and I couldn't lose the baby weight after my second pregnancy. Changing how I ate turned all of that around and those feelings become a distant memory-until I take it too far down the other path! So when hubs pointed out last night that maybe I wasn't coming down with something-that maybe my body was reacting to the horrible (but really yummy) eating over the weekend I listened! So, this morning I am going to breathe and reset right back to where I need to be and this is how I'll do it:
I like to reset with a smoothie day. Not juice-but a smoothie. Juice cleanses get a lot of attention and for sure have their place, but smoothies are a great option if you want to maintain balanced blood sugar (juices are really high in sugar) for mood stability, as well as combat inflammation and promote skin health with omega 3's and other healthy fats. That's what I need right now-balanced blood sugar and serious inflammation fighting after putting my digestive system through the wringer! On reset days I have a smoothie for breakfast & lunch and a super delicious soup for dinner and I drink A TON of water and green tea in between. By the time I wake up the next morning I'm usually right back to where I want to be, and if not I do it all over again. And this-this is how I reset. By the time I go back to a 'regular' day I've broken the cycle of indulging and I WANT to eat properly again. Sound good? Keep reading for my Reset Blueprint Smoothie, and stay tuned for my new Reset For Spring Program launching soon!
Step 1: Wake up! Have a glass of room temperature (i know-boring-but way better for you) water with lemon essential oil, lemon juice or some ACV (apple cider vinegar) added in. Bonus points for stirring in a lil cayenne pepper.
Step 2: Breakfast: Reset Smoothie
- 3 scoops (or a serving) of your fave protein powder (i'm really loving Orange Naturals ND Shake-Women's Sport which has 27g of plant protein (perfect to keep my blood sugar balanced right away) plus greens, superfruits & nutrition AND no added sweeteners or other ingredients I prefer to keep outta my life
- 1 cup almond milk (plain unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen organic cherries & berries
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (an adaptogen which is amazing for energy)
- 1 teaspoon dried goji berries (packed with antioxidants to help you recover from whatever caused the reset, beta-carotene for glowing skin and loads of Vitamin C for immune boosting, skin tightening-helloooo collagen-and full of fibre for blood sugar balance)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (for energy-its a MCT fat which means it is used directly for energy and can help promote fat burning-plus it will help to slow digestion and keep that blood sugar balanced)
- I always throw in some spinach or kale or whatever random greens I have lying around
- Blend! Drink! (oh-add more or less water depending on how thick you like your smoothies)
What's your favourite way to reset? It doesn't have to be food related-just anything that helps you breathe and shift your mindset back to where you want it!